The Host-Flesh, as can be very distinctly observed today, has the same dimensions as the large host used today in the Latin Church; it is light brown and appears rose-colored when lighted from the back. The Blood is coagulated and has an earthy color resembling the yellow of ochre. Since 1713 the Flesh has been reserved in an artistic silver ostensorium, delicately embossed by an artisan of the Neapolitan school. The Blood is enclosed in a rich and very old cup made of Rock-crystal.
The Friars Minor Conventual have been the custodians of the Sanctuary since 1252; their appointment was the wish of Bishop Landulf of Chieti; their appointment was confirmed by a Pontifical Bull dated April 20, 1252. The church was in charge of the Basilian monks until 1176; from 1176 until 1252 the Benedictines staffed the church. In 1258 the Franciscans built the present church. In 1700 its architectural style was changed from romanesque-gothic to baroque.
The "Miracle" was first reserved in a chapel situated at the side of the main altar. Then, from 1636 it was reserved in a side-altar of the nave which still contains the old iron chest and the commemorative inscription.
In 1902 it was transferred into the present monumental marble altar which the people of Lanciano had erected. Various ecclesiastical investigations ("Recognitions") were conducted since 1574.
He was assisted by Prof. Ruggero Bertelli of the University of Siena.
The analyses were conducted with absolute and unquestionable scientific precision and they were documented with a series of microscopic photographs which were rendered a matter of public domain by the esteemed Prof. Linoli himself in a conference held on March 4, 1971, in the Church of the Miracle.
- The Flesh and the Blood belong to the human species.