Sunday, September 23, 2012

St. Alphonsus Liguori on the Holy Eucharist


Behold the source of every good, Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament, who says If any man thirst, let him come to Me (John 2:27).
Oh, what torrents of grace have the saints drawn from the fountain of the Most Blessed Sacrament!
For there Jesus dispenses all the merits of his Passion, as it was foretold by the Prophet: You shall draw waters with joy out of the Saviour’s fountains (Isaiah 12:3).
The Countess of Feria…on being asked how she employed the many hours thus passed in the presence of the Holy of Holies, answered:
“I could remain there for all eternity. And is not there present the very essence of God, who will be the food of the blessed?
“Am I asked what I do in his presence? Why am I not rather asked, what is not done there? “We love, we ask, we praise, we give thanks. We ask, what does a poor man do in the presence of one who is rich? What does a sick man do in the presence of his physician?
“What does a man do who is parched with thirst in the presence of a clear fountain? What is the occupation of one who is starving, and is placed before a splendid table?”
O my most amiable, most sweet, most beloved Jesus, my life, my hope, my treasure, the only love of my soul; oh, what has it cost Thee to remain thus with us in this Sacrament!
Thou hadst to die, that Thou mightest thus dwell amongst us on our altars; and then, how many insults hast Thou not had to endure in this Sacrament, in order to aid us by Thy presence!
Thy love, and the desire which Thou hast to be loved by us, have conquered all.
Come then, O Lord! Come and take possession of my heart; close its doors forever, that henceforward no creature may enter there, to divide the love which is due to Thee, and which it is my ardent desire to bestow all on Thee.
Do Thou alone, my dear Redeemer, rule me; do Thou alone possess my whole being.
[...] Grant that I may no longer seek for any other pleasure than that of giving Thee pleasure; that all my pleasure may be to visit Thee often on Thy altar.
[...] Let all who will, seek other treasures; the only treasure that I love, the only one that I desire, is that of Thy love; for this only will I ask at the foot of the altar.
Do Thou make me forget myself, that thus I may only remember Thy goodness.
Alphonsus Liguori (1696-1787): The Holy Eucharistpp. 127-128.

No comments: